Monday, March 18, 2013

Keep Pushing Forward!

I believe you when you say it's chemo
but it looks an awful lot like Kool-Aid to me. 
Oh yeah!
 
 
 
CT Scan Update:  The scan showed an interesting mix of progress in some spots, a little decline in others, while thankfully nothing new popped up.  I'll just say I'm grateful to see improvement and even more grateful to push forward with "bigger guns". 

This week I was introduced to my new chemo drug, Doxil.  Please indulge me as I attempt to get the following song stuck in your head.  It's been lingering in mine for a week:


I hadn't thought of Huey Lewis and the News since 1985
 

 


My doctor recently explained, and I hope I'm not butchering her valuable information because she's an experienced oncologist and respected cancer researcher and I check off the "some college or technical school" box on surveys (and I'm partial to run on sentences), that tumors have their own DNA (what the what?!).  Yes!  Their own DNA - apart from mine - and sometimes cancer cells can mutate.  There could be a more targeted cancer treatment that would be better suited for my individual tumors.  She blew my mind!  Here's an article:



So my pathology will be studied in an effort to get to the bottom of these pesky, uncooperative tumors.  I have to tell you, I may not understand the complexities of it, but I am excited about the prospect of this technology for cancer patients overall.  God, I ask for a special blessing on the lives of these brilliant people!


The "New" Drug

 
Change is such an interesting beast.  I've had the same Taxol and Carboplatin routine for 14 weeks.  I know when certain side effects would hit me hardest and when I would be ok to go out for dinner.  I also liked having to show up weekly for chemo - It just  made me feel like I'm actively in the fight, doing something each week. Doxil is administered every 28 days.  It's also a different drug which means new side effects.  As much as change is an adjustment, I have to roll with it.  We got our money's worth from my previous 2 drugs and it's time to move on.  I had my first dose last week and it's funny -  it's kind of nice not having to think about getting to chemo this week. 

My Doc and chemo nurses reviewed the drug, what to expect during treatment and how to stay on top of possible side effects.  Here goes:   
    • Fatigue was discussed.   Now that it's been in my system for almost a week, I can say with a high degree of certainty the evil Queen spiked Snow White's apple with Doxil. It's the type of fatigue where you take a nap on Monday at 3pm and wake up Thursday at noon.
    • The color of the drug itself can, but didn't, turn my tears and urine pink.  I was tempted to drink a big gulp (in your face Bloomberg) and watch the last 20 minutes of "Terms of Endearment" to test it out on my way home (please note, I do NOT endorse the consumption of sugary beverages, however, Mayor Nanny's out of control.  To quote Edina Monsoon, "...we're all not stupid. We don't all need nurse maiding").  I was disappointed to see my run of the mill clear tears, I admit.
    • Unless a patient experienced an allergic reaction to the initial treatment, IV Benadryl is no longer a necessary chemo pre-med for this drug.  Did I tell you I had a virgin Pina Colada on Sunday?  Yeah, I got dressed up, put on makeup and had a coconut shake with a cherry garnish at a nice restaurant while my girlfriends enjoyed big girl sangria.  Now, I'm not a drinker, but I do enjoy an occasional glass of pinot noir with dinner or a nice port during desert.  Not on chemo can alcohol happen.  IV Benadryl was the closest I came to a glass of wine.  I should be happy I didn't have a reaction.  Of course I am happy I didn't have a reaction.  I'll just go back to sniffing other people's wine glasses like a dog.  At least desert is still very much an option
    • Mouth sores.  Possible nausea/vomiting. Major palm of hand and sole of feet irritation all possible.  Bag Balm was recommended for immediate and daily use for the hands and feet and Biotene to help prevent mouth sores.  We picked it up within a few hours of treatment and I started using the products daily that night.  Any good cancer patient knows - if your doctor and/or chemo nurse makes a recommendation, you take it with gusto.


    Food tastes shifted again this week.  Chicken is out completely and it saddens me to note Pastina hasn't been on the radar in weeks.  Dad's baked ziti on the other hand seems to be doing just fine in my belly, as are greens, string beans, fish and surprisingly, steak. 

    5 comments:

    1. Anonymous3/18/2013

      You have shown such grace under fire...I am very proud of you, Mom

      ReplyDelete
    2. Anonymous3/18/2013

      You are an inspiration for anyone facing a battle.....You are my hero...May God be by your side ..Love you...MAMA mIA.....

      ReplyDelete
    3. Anonymous3/26/2013

      PRAYERS, LOVE, AND FAITH IN AND FOR YOU.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Anonymous3/28/2013

      Amy - I pray this prayer for you sweet girl. Although I did not write the words, it is my heart's prayer for you! It's been a long time since junior high sunday school and although the years have gone by since I have seen you - your smile is etched in my memory. God will continue to do His good work in you and through you!! Love you kiddo! (Nancy T)

      Dear Lord of Mercy and Father of Comfort,

      You are the One I turn to for help in moments of weakness and times of need. I ask you to be with your servant in this illness. Psalm 107:20 says that you send out your Word and heal. So then, please send your healing Word to your servant. In the name of Jesus, drive out all infirmity and sickness from her body.

      Dear Lord, I ask you to turn this weakness into strength, suffering into compassion, sorrow into joy, and pain into comfort for others. May your servant trust in your goodness and hope in your faithfulness, even in the middle of this suffering. Let her be filled with patience and joy in your presence as she waits for your healing touch.

      Please restore your servant to full health, dear Father. Remove all fear and doubt from her heart by the power of your Holy Spirit, and may you, Lord, be glorified through her life.

      As you heal and renew your servant, Lord, may she bless and praise you.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Anonymous4/26/2013

      Michael I wish I had met Amy.
      She was amazing and as I read her blog with tears in my eyes I am grateful to know and work with you. You and your wife raised an awesome daughter!
      Susan Banks

      ReplyDelete