Thursday, November 29, 2012

Day 3 - Week One

For just about every medical ailment or disease, there seems to be that one expensive drug that works miracles; the treatment you'd sell your right pinkie for.  For cancer, and keep in mind, I still have so much to learn, it appears the Mercedes of nausea prevention medication is "Emend".  Three, unassuming little capsules, worth around $115 per pill, secured between layers of thin cardboard in a Z-Pak set up.  Once again - God, husband, insurance - thank you. "If you drop an Emend pill on the floor, pick it up, dust it off, and put it in your mouth" said every doctor, nurse and pharmacist I came into contact with on Tuesday.  I promised. "I will put it in my mouth if it falls on the floor".

They also provided me with a steroid, to be taken with the Emend, as well as two additional anti-nausea medications as backup, if needed.  There's OTC digestive remedy recommendations, the greatest has been Pepcid.  This stomach acid is a wee bit mean and mocked my precious TUMS.   Being a reformed Type A, I appreciate the specific details and instructions my medical professionals have provided.

So far everything I was told to expect has happened.  Rosie, flush cheeks.  Fatigue.  Acid reflux.  I'm just barely in my first week but as long as we're on the road to completly obliterating my cancer, that's all that matters. 

If I allow it, I can quickly become overwhelmed just thinking about the long weeks ahead.  The tests.  Waiting for updates and answers.  I know for myself, my mind can race a mile a minute, and it's a battle, especially now, to not permit any negativity to take root.  In my prayer time last night, I was reminded of the following verse:  Philippians 4:8.  Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.

That's not a suggestion.  That's a glorious command rooted in freedom from anxiety as far as I'm concerned.


In addition to God, husband, parents, family - I'm making a list of 5 good things, excellent and praiseworthy things, to meditate on...

1)  Some wonderful women in my life are making sure I have a cleaning person, eyebrows, constant encouragement, hats, medical support and today, a massive Costco chocolate cake.  I had a sliver earlier with some Chai tea and company.  It was  the most delicious, guilt free piece of chocolately goodness I've ever devoured (doctor's orders).
2)  As much as my own vanity dreads the first fistful of hair loss, after years of chemical hair relaxers, aching arms, straightening irons, blow dryers and curling irons, I think I'm actually looking forward to experiencing life as a care-free bald woman with head wear options. 
3)  Months of wax free Sicilian menopause upper lip?  No razor burns or nicks?  Yes, please!
4)  I truly never stopped to appreciate, nor did I have any idea, how much love I've been given in my life until cancer. 
5)  And of course, this little guy (Penguins + Christmas = awesome):



I'm going to continue to strive to think only on whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-- anything excellent or praiseworthy.

6 comments:

  1. A lot of times when the hair grows back it's a totally
    different consistency, so you might luck out with straight hair next time around !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh!!! I didn't realize this could be an option. Mark that as #6 on this list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How many treatments are you having?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robert L.11/30/2012

    Great motivation Amy... Your my Hero.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jess - I'll message you.

    Rob - I love you brother!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love you Amy.......You are in good hands..... Rose

    ReplyDelete