Sunday, November 11, 2012

Saturday, June 16, 2012 - My Dad & Me



Romans 8:28 - And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose.


Dad was 42 when he was first diagnosed with colon cancer. Although he required major surgery, thankfully it was caught “in time”.

For the past 22 years since his diagnosis, Dad’s been diligent about his annual cancer screenings. He exercises and eats right daily. But about 18 months ago we were told “They found it early, but the colon cancer is back. I feel I need to go to Manhattan this time around for surgery.”

After learning of Dad’s medical and family history, his surgeon referred him to a genetic doctor at the same hospital he had his surgery -Weill-Cornell Medical Center in Manhattan. Dad met with the genetic doctor, blood was drawn and 30 days later we learned that Dad tested positive for a genetic mutation called Lynch Syndrome. Lynch increases a person’s risk of colon, endometrial, ovarian and other cancers, often at an earlier age than the general population.


“Coincidentally”, the genetic doctor was in the middle of studying families with Lynch Syndrome and I took the ridiculously expensive test for free. 30 days later, as Dad and I sat in a sterile exam room, we learned that at 35, I too tested positive for Lynch Syndrome (loved ones would later learn their results, and I’ll leave it them to comment, if they wish). We spent the next few hours in Chinatown, eating Dim Sum and reviewing all of the medical exams we would need for life on the ride home. Dad and I were now Lynch buds for life, yo.


Women with Lynch Syndrome should start testing for endometrial cancer at 35 and have a hysterectomy by 40. I was 35- let’s do this. My gynecologist received a copy of my Lynch report, met with Lou and me and “reassured us” not to worry since HE didn’t think there was urgency for biopsies just yet. Say what now? “Endometrial biopsies hurt” he said. “Uh, Doc, doesn’t chemo hurt?” I asked. “Let’s get a couple of kids out of you and you’ll have a hysterectomy at 40”. I was not feeling the warm and fuzzies. Not long after that meeting, I had a pelvic x-ray that showed a “fibroid tumor”. Again I met with Joe Quack, MD. “Doc, it’s an x-ray and I have Lynch Syndrome. How do you know it’s just a fibroid?”. “Amy, it’s JUST a fibroid”. I couldn’t make these conversations up if I tried. I'll end sharing my experiences with that office here.



Being my father’s daughter, I prayed and researched. God led me to a new doctor who took my records and concerns seriously. I was quickly scheduled for a D&C and two weeks later I received “the call” - I had Stage 1A Endometrial Cancer.


I found an oncologist/gynecologist in Manhattan and on May 3rd, I kissed my lady business goodbye. Since proper cancer staging really can’t occur until the organs are removed, my final diagnosis was Stage II, Grade 2 Endometrial Cancer. Thank God my lymph nodes were clear and as of yesterday, I’m 5 days into 25 preventive external pelvic radiation treatments. Whatever happens, God's in control and His Word promises He'll never leave me.


~


As I struggled to come out of anesthesia in recovery, it was Dad who I saw first, standing at my feet. It was Dad who was with me during my Lynch diagnosis, Dad who sat with Lou to comfort him during two D&C’s, Dad who calls to talk to me during my now daily 2 hr drive into midtown for treatment and it’s my Dad who has lived through and understands the unpredictable world of cancer. Dad, I thank you for your example, suffering, love and support. Thank you for making sure I put my big girl pants on and do everything possible to preserve my health.


Of course, second to my merciful, loving Savior who showers me with His peace, grace and joy, my husband has been my rock and our mothers have loving, supportive roles in this ongoing story. Those are stories for another day. This note belongs to Dad.



PS - I’m not in the business of smearing a doctor, but I will do everything I can to make sure women get the proper medical care and respect they deserve. While I won’t mention his name, I’ll just say this - if you go to a male gynecologist with offices in Bay Ridge and on Richmond Avenue in the 10314 zip code who listens to rock music while performing Pap smears and does plastic surgery and Botox on the side, I highly recommend you get a copy of your records and run like the wind, my sisters. Message me if you have any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment